Venue: Council Chamber Town Hall. View directions
Apologies for absence and named substitutes
There were no apologies for absence.
Councillor Barker Smith reported that Councillor Fardoe, who had been a member of the Local Polling Districts and Places Review Working Group was unable to attend to observe the meeting. However, it was requested that it be noted that Councillor Fardoe had enjoyed taking part in the Working Group.
Declarations of Interest
To invite Councillors to declare any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests or Other Disclosable Interests they may have in items on the agenda, and to confirm the nature of those interests.
There were no declarations of interest.
The minutes of the meeting of the Electoral Matters Committee held on 11th July 2023 be approved as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chair.
The report is attached.
Background papers will be published in a separate background papers pack.
The Electoral Services Manager presented the report on the subject of Local Polling District Places Review. Members were advised that the report contained the findings of the Local Polling Districts and Places Review Working Group. During the meetings of the Working Group, Members had discussed individual Polling Districts, Polling Places and Polling Stations. During the investigation a number of changes had been suggested and informal site visits had been carried out by Members of the Working Group.
It was explained that there had been detailed discussion regarding the Headless Cross and Oakenshaw ward,during the meetings of the Working Group, and whether an additional Polling District could be created for the Wirehill area. Councillor Court had provided Officers with 7 potential sites within this area that could house a portable building for use as a potential Polling Station. The Electoral Services Manager explained that he had undertaken site visits along with the Senior Electoral Services Officer and the Senior Landscape and Grounds Maintenance Officer who provided advice and expertise on the potential locations.
The sites were reported as follows:
· Location 1 - This location was deemed unsuitable as there was not enough room to locate a temporary building, a toilet and a generator. It was also deemed too close to nearby houses.
· Location 2 – This site was thought to be a possibility; however, it would need to be confirmed if a lorry could access the site to deliver a portable building. Permission from Homes England would also need to be sought in order to use the land.
· Location 3 - This site was deemed unsuitable as any portable buildings would need to be sited on the road.
· Location 4 – This location was deemed unsuitable as there was not enough room to locate a temporary building, a toilet and a generator. It was also noted how busy the road was in this location.
· Location 5 – This was a potential site. However, concerns were raised as to whether the terrain was flat enough. Concerns were also raised regarding a mulch path that ran alongside the site and whether a lorry could access the site in order to deliver a portable building.
· Location 6 – This location was deemed unsuitable as it was in close proximity to a play area and there would not be enough room for a portable building, toilet and generator.
· Location 7 – This location was deemed unsuitable due to the close proximity to a balancing pond and there would be concerns regarding safety.
It was noted that should Members wish to progress with Locations 5-7 (as detailed above) permission would need to be sought from David Wilson Homes to use the land.
Members queried as to what the potential next steps would be and suggested that Officers contacted David Wilson Homes and Homes England to see if it would be possible, following consultation with residents to use these locations.
During consideration of the report, Members suggested an additional site that could be investigated. The site ... view the full minutes text for item 9.